Ludlow Mills Collection
The Ludlow Manufacturing and Sales Co. made cloth, rope, and twine out of Indian grown jute, flax, and hemp from 1868 through the 1970s. At its height in theyears before World War I, Ludlow Manufacturing had about 4,000 employees. During the Great War, the supply of jute fiber from India was disrupted, so the company decided to shift production overseas and opened a mill there. The company began to demolish unused buildings and in the subsequent decades the remaining ones fell into disrepair. We have reclaimed spruce beams dating back to the mid-1800’s — all unpainted, with original saw-marks, nails, and beam structure.
Located on Broadstreet in Boston, this historic building was designed by the legendary architect Charles Bulfinch. The first American-born architect, Bulfinch was renowned for, among other works, designing the rotunda of the US Capital and the Massachusetts State House, and for the overhaul of Faneuil Hall.
While the facade of the Broadstreet building was preserved, we were able to obtain the historic wood of its interior in its original condition.
Boston Harbor Collection
When Jimmy’s Harborside Restaurant was demolished, the piles pulled from the water of the Boston Harbor were cut, dried, and made into flooring for Legal Sea Foods. “[Thiswood] literally held up Jimmy’s Harborside for 85 years and we hope it provides grounding for Legal Sea Food for another 85,” said Roger Berkowitz, President and CEO of Legal Sea Foods.
We have now taken the remaining wood beams and converted them into our Boston Harbor Collection of lights.
Rockingham Park Collection
Before Rockingham Park closed its doors after 110 years of operation, it was significant both in its function as a racetrack and in its role in a number of historical events. In 1906 it first opened its doorsfor a 21-day Thoroughbred meet and was quickly crowned the “finest race course in theworld.” Over the course of its operation, it held races run by Triple Crown winner Mom’s Command and, most notably, Seabiscuit (yes, that Seabiscuit). Although Seabiscuit never won a race at Rockingham, it was his home and stable during his two-year-old racing campaign.
But Rockingham Park was more than a racetrack. In 1911 it held the first aviation meet in New England, and pilot Lieutenant Milling set a new altitude record of 1,600 feet in his bi-plane. Later, during WWI, it would serve as a campsite for the 14th United States Army Engineers before they sailed to fight in France.
In 2016, Rockingham Park was sold and demolished, and Carroll by Design was proud to acquire a portion of this storied wood that has seen and participated in such a substantial part of US History.
1897 Centennial Collection
In 1897, the state of Tennessee celebrated their Centennial of statehood by hosting a six month long exhibition in what is now known as Centennial Park in Nashville. As part of the celebration, buildings were constructed to highlight contributions from across the state. People came from all over the world to see the exhibits and partake in the celebration of the founding of the State of Tennessee.
After the six month exhibition ended, all of the buildings were torn down and removed from the site with the exception of the Parthenon, which stands today. In October 1897, Smyrna’s George Washington Gwyn acquired the wood from he Agriculture Building of this exhibition (shown) and constructed an eclectic working barn.
These are the only remaining beams from this structure. The 1897 Centennial collection is a limited edition line of beam lights, sconces, table lamps, and floor lamps built from the wood that once stood as the Centennial Exhibition’s Agriculture Building.
In 2015, a Nashville developer purchased a piece of property just south of Nashville with the intention of developing a neighborhood. Before the new neigborhood could be built, however, the city required an archeological study be performed before the necessary permits would be issued. This archeological survey found that a log cabin and springhouse on the property were actually part of an early pioneer settlement that dated back to the late 1700’s/early 1800’s.
Carroll by Design has purchased the entire pioneer log cabin. We are repurposing the historic wood from this amazing structure into our Pioneer Collection.